10.30.2011

Cherishing those we love

I feel that there have been many unfortunate sudden deaths recently.
It sure has me thinking about those in my life, and realizing I don't cherish them enough.
My uncle Robert Brinton's funeral was yesterday in AZ. We couldn't make it, but I have thought so much about the Brinton family and how hard it must be to lose someone so unexpectedly that has such a big influence in your life.
He was such an incredible and humble man. So humble that I had no clue he was as incredible as he really was. There are articles all over the AZ paper. Seriously, just look up Robert Brinton. You'll be blown away.


A few stories have really touched me.

I'm sure many of you heard of the U of U football player that lost his wife of one year in a car crash after a football game. Gosh, so sad.

Then there was the story of the young man that died in the avalanche last winter. Well his sister in law was my statistics study buddy, and it was such a sad situation. He had been married one year, and hearing about his sweet wife Molly just tore me apart. She couldn't let go of him. She completely fell apart. She wore his clothes every day and carried around a picture of him. She was criticized and told she needed to move on. How do you move on from that?!

I would be walking home from school thinking about Derek, and would start to cry. The little things didn't matter when i thought like this. I loved everything and anything he did, and wanted to cherish every moment with him.

I'm so grateful for my family, friends, and especially I am grateful for my incredible, sweet, husband Derek. I would be nothing without him. He truly is my everything. He is the most motivational, hard working, smart, honest, caring, patient, and attractive person I know. He inspires me to be my best self, to learn, and to love. I love Derek Walker with all my heart.

I think it's easy to get caught up in the little things in life, that in the end mean nothing at all. This is especially hard when relationships are hurting and feel like they will never be fixed. And often the next day things are back to normal. :p We need to enjoy the time we have with those we love. We need to remember to repeatedly tell them and show them we love them. We need to make sure they know how important they are to us. That is what is most important in life...these relationships we have and are building with those we love.

I wanted to quickly spotlight this special girl.

Meet Haley... Haley, meet my blog friends.
Now I don't think Miss Haley reads this blog, but she really has left an impression on me lately. She is such a practical young girl I tell ya. She amazed me with the inspirational things she says and does. She doesn't care what anyone thinks about her, she loves life, and she is truly herself. She is extremely smart, hard working, and caring. She just received her YW in Excellence award, is going to get it again...just because. She is spunky and hilarious, and so honest to herself and others. She doesn't follow the crowd. I love my sis.

Sidenote:
I sang in church today with my SIL Mckenna. She's a rockstar. I on the other hand was a nervous wreck. Luckily it turned out fine. I am the ultimate mind game player. I freak myself out more than anyone you've ever seen in your life. Promise. I have sung more times than I can count, but it's been a while. I'll be singing 3 times in 2 months at all different wards. I better get over this nervous mind game I play. It upsets me more than anything.

PS...blog header designed by the one and only Derek Walker.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post. I understand what you are talking about. Recently there has been a lot of tragic events that have happened to people we know. One of Jayden's friends from high school's husband was diagnosed with lukemia and the same week found out that they were expecting a baby. The baby was born the same week that her husband passed away. It really made us appreciate life and how cherished it is. Also, this week another one of Jayden's friends had a baby at only 24 weeks pregnant, and her son only lived for five days before passing away. So many sad stories and really are a wake up call how blessed we are in life. Thanks for sharing Amanda!

    PS. I really like your new blog layout and header!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to teach me how to do the blog headers. I need a template.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...